Friday, November 20, 2009

Catholicism isn't all fun and games....

So I was born and raised Catholic and most of my family is still very devout. Occasionally my Aunts, who are all for the most part very wonderful people, will send out 'Prayer Request Emails'. Oftentimes the emails will be requesting prayers for a loved one who is dealing with a hardship of some sort. I think this is wonderful. Even if you are an atheist (you're going to hell for all eternity btw) you have to appreciate family coming together to show support for one another. Unfortunately as with all organized religion it is inherently flawed.

A few months ago one of my Aunts sent out a 'Prayer Request Email' for her son, my Cousin Sam (the name has been changed to protect the innocent). Now this Aunt is one of those truly wonderful people. She is giving and kind and thoughtful and has all of the ingredients of wonderfulness. She is also a 'by the book' Catholic and that means she is obligated to player hate like a son of a bitch. Sometimes on those who truly don't deserve it, in this case her son Sam.

The 'Prayer Request' was sent so that we may pray for Sam because he was stricken with the most horrible of diseases for a God fearing Catholic, homosexuality. God help us all. I am a little confused though as to what I am supposed to be praying for? That God takes away his gayness? Fair enough.

"O Lord hear my prayer. Please lay your healing hands (keep it above the waist please) upon Samuel as he has wandered from the flock (and he kind of wandered like a girl, Lord). Please let him stop thinking about dudes so much. Make him dig chicks. Hell I don't know taketh him to Hooters maybe. I am sorry about using the word 'hell' Lord. Oh, and about the Hooters thing too. Thank you O Lord."

In all seriousness, Sam is a really good kid. To my knowledge he hasn't murdered, raped or stolen. On the contrary he is always very kind and respectful to everyone. Now this poor kid has to deal with the knowledge that his Mother's belief system is telling her her Son is possibly headed for eternal damnation if he doesn't quit being so gay all the time. It's not right. I am not an atheist. I do believe in God. I just don't think any organized religion has it right yet. I certainly don't believe in a God that is going to bar entrance into heaven for Sam because he happens to be gay.

I do apologize if I've offended anyone. And if God does exist in the form that Catholicism tells us he does then I would most sincerely like to apologize to him and let him know that I do not in any way dig any dudes as more than a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment